Chase Producer - AM
Monday 23 January 2023
Auckland CBD, Auckland Central
Applications closes on:
Friday 03 February 2023
Chase Producer - AM
The Chase Producer is the most senior role outside of the control room. They are entrusted with the task of investigating breaking news leads, helping to identify the top stories of the day, exploring potential angles for the daily team to cover and securing suitable and strong talent to participate in the show. As Chase Producer you are responsible for securing suitable and engaging contributors to participate in the show's segments, bumpers, crosses and long lead stories. This position plays a crucial role in establishing and developing editorial content for the show.
The Chase Producer works closely with the Supervising Producer and Executive Producer to ensure the daily team members have a clear understanding of each story and can gain access to leading experts and relevant contributors.
In conjunction with the Segment Producer, the Chase Producer prepares talent and contributors for the live crosses and interviews and reports back to the daily team, writing comprehensive briefs and questions for recorded and live segments.
In addition to the daily production requirements, the Chase Producer works with the Supervising Producer and other members of the team to establish content for the forward planning agenda. The Chase Producer supports the advance planning processes by exploring story opportunities, researching talent options, suggesting creative angles.
- Source/locate/secure and book interview talent for the morning's show.
- Constantly monitor news sources - digital/broadcast/print - including international.
- Be prepared to work quickly to get new talent when news is breaking or when other plans fall over
- Source/confirm and communicate details of breaking/developing news stories and events to programme team and wider newsroom
- Monitor the news on a daily basis to keep abreast of what is important in the day's news.
- Keep across the daily Newshub news documents and be aware of what stories Newshub is covering daily.
- Keep and grow a contacts list of talent
- Identify opportunities for social media content/elements to be integrated into the show.
- Liaise with the newsroom team on story and event coverage including updates on show content and breaking news coverage.
- Produce programme segments
- Write accurate and concise briefings for presenters.
- Create and input supers/graphics and edit b-roll.
- Source, produce and edit foreign content.
- Write and cut teasers.
- Direct / supervise segment producers outside of the control room.
- Generate fresh story ideas and angles for planning meetings.
- Contribute to the show's digital platforms.
- Deal professionally with talent and talent's representatives (for example politicians and their press secretaries) to develop good relationships with everyone we deal with.
- Liaise with the Assignments desk and other Bureau Chiefs across the North and South Island to organise camera bookings and live feeds.
- Generate original ideas and contribute to the editorial process and long term program strategies.
- Ensure that all facts are thoroughly checked, legalled and of a professional standard.
- Advise the classification and legal advisors of the show of any relevant issues arising and to implement their advice when given
- Filter the day's media and news coverage to ensure the show is covering the most suitable stories available.
- The Employee shall ensure they are familiar with the Employer's health and safety policies and procedures, and any modifications to those policies and procedures that may be introduced from time to time.
- Carry out your work safely and without endangering or causing harm to yourself, fellow staff members, contractors, customers, visitors, or the general public.
- Step in as a line-up producer when required
- Other duties as required
- Journalism degree and experience working in news (specifically TV news)
- Awareness of production procedures and newsroom systems
- Experience of daily news in a major newsroom.
- A comprehensive network of industry contacts and relationships.
- High level operational knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Google docs, iNews, UX etc and understanding of how to source news pictures
- Team-oriented individual who provides a high level of communication, support and respect to team members across all levels and holds respect for other team members' responsibilities.
- An intrinsic interest and passion for keeping informed about current social and political events and issues - both locally and internationally.
- A clear and positive communication style that demonstrates an understanding of the various pressures on others in the team.
- Ability to function professionally in a high-pressure environment with daily deadlines.
- Aside from competitive salaries, great colleagues and an exciting work environment, we recognise that there's more to work than just pay. Here are a few of our amazing incentives:
- a generous bonus scheme
- free income protection, trauma and life insurances
- three additional balance days per year
- Birthday leave
- parental leave topped up to full salary for the first 18 weeks.
- Additional Christmas leave